It is that time of the year again, time for the footy finals. And whether you are keen to watch the first Sunday of October for the NRL final or you’re more of an AFL kind of person, there’s a drink and a footy final party waiting for you.
The excitement of the game can get to anyone. Blood pressure rises, celebrations get rowdy and frustrations can come out in energetic ways. That’s why it is smart to replace any glassware in the house before the party starts. You don’t want the mates breaking any glass no matter the outcome of the big game.
But you don’t have to turn to red solo cups and party like bogans. You can throw a classy footy final party complete with different, nearly unbreakable cocktail glasses to suit each of the drinks that you serve. Replacing your glassware with unbreakable plastic drinkware from Swish Plastic guarantees a good time for all while shatter-proofing the house.
And if you really want to kick it up a notch on the class meter, serve these five drinks with the proper Swish Plastic drinkware:
1. The Old Fashioned Amber
Manly men may prefer to drink beer during a rough footy match and you can satisfy that with this beer-based cocktail. Toss this man drink into a stackable plastic tumbler from Swish Plastics to give him the idea that he’s drinking a brew and he’ll fit right in with the boys.
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon bitters
- Two stubbies of amber or red ale
- 4 strips of orange peel removed with vegetable peeler
- 4 cherries (optional)
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the bourbon, sugar and bitters and shake it up well.
- Strain into 4 Swish Plastic Stackable Tumblers and top each with half a stubby of ale.
- Rub the rim of the glass with the orange peel and then add it to the drink along with a cherry.
- Cherry is optional, in case you want to maintain the manliness.
2. Tequila Sunrise Punch
There are two liquors known to get a footy fan rowdy — bourbon and tequila — and we’re covering both of them with the first two drinks. Drop this punch into a Tritan Plastic Stemless Wine Glass from Swish Plastic to class it up just a bit. And if any footy fan complains, tell them to man up and drink the tequila.
- 1/2 cup high-end tequila, it doesn’t matter the colour
- 33 ounces citrus-flavoured club soda
- 2 limes, cut into quarters
- 1 small unpeeled orange, cut into 2 centimetre chunks
- 1/2 small unpeeled grapefruit, cut into 2 centimetre chunks
- Ice cubes
- Toss the tequila and club soda into a jug.
- Add the limes, oranges and grapefruit and let it rest for 10 minutes in a cool spot.
- Add ice to the jug, forcing the punch rise to the top.
- Serve in chilled glasses with some fruit in each of the Stemless Plastic Wine Glasses.
3. Brazilian Coffee Cocktail With Cachaca
Need to stay super focused on the game? Coffee will do the trick. And this drink has a novelty — Cachaca. Some say it is the oldest liquor on planet earth. It is herbaceous and pungent like tequila but it is made from sugar. Serve careful portions of this caffeine-liquor mix into a Tritan Plastic Medium Tumbler.
- 1/4 cup espresso, chilled
- 2 tablespoons of Cachaca (or light rum)
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- Cinnamon stick (optional)
- This one is simple. Carefully measure ingredients and toss into a shaker, minus the cinnamon stick.
- Shake it up good and then strain into a Tritan Plastic Medium Tumbler full of ice.
- Class it up with a cinnamon stick, if you please.
4. The Best Of Both Worlds, aka the Snake Bite
Are you the kind of footy fan that can’t decide between beer and hard cider? Well, you are in luck. This drink is simple and effective; easy to make and easy to drink, allowing you to focus on the game. Toss these two simple ingredients into a Tritan Plastic Highball Tumbler to savour the flavour of your favourite drinks mixed together.
- Stout or lager
- Hard cider
- Pour your favorite beer, filling the Tritan Plastic Highball Timbler halfway.
- Turn a spoon over and hold over top of the glass.
- Pour slowly to separate the beer and the cider for layered flavour.
5. Bush Fire
This one is saved for the losers of bets; the supporters of the losing team. Enjoy.
- Fill Tritan Plastic Shot Glass with whiskey and add hot sauce then throw it back.